Tuesday 2 September 2008

Bread pudding


A friend of mine just asked if I have a recipe for bread pudding, although I have made lots of bread and butter puddings in my life, I’ve never made a bread pudding. Curious to find out more, I turned to my trusty “Mrs Beeton’s Everyday Cookery’ (an absolute gem of a cookery book and the basis for many an economical delicious dish) and here follows the recipe…. A great way of using up any remnants of bread..

Bread pudding, baked.

Ingredients:
8oz of stale bread
4oz of raisins or currents
2oz of finely shredded suet (you can get vegi versions of suet, or I’m guessing you could use butter)
2oz of sugar
1 egg
a little milk
a good pinch of nutmeg

Method:

Break the bread into small pieces, cover them with cold water, soak for half an hour, then strain and squeeze dry. Beat out all the lumps with a fork, and stir in the sugar, suet, raisins, nutmeg and mix well. Add the egg, previously beaten, and as much milk as necessary to make the mixture moist enough to drop readily from the spoon. Pour into a greased pie-dish and bake gently for about 1 hour. When done, turn out on to a dish, and dredge well with sugar. Sufficient for about 5 or 6 people.

Today’s illustration ‘toast’ © Lois Blackburn, please visit www.loisblackburn.co.uk to see more work.

1 comment:

fredblog said...

This is more or less what I made yesterday - as a single bloke, my granary loaf is often stale before I've eaten it all, so this is a great way to get value from it! The only difference was I left out the suet, used mixed spice, and added some honey. I believe Up North they add black treacle to make it look darker! I made the mistake of soaking the bread in the milk, so it was a bit soggy (how I like it!) - I'll try soaking in water next time, squeezing it out and adding the milk later! Thanks Lo...