Wednesday 8 October 2008

Sloe gin season


I made my first batch last year, delicious stuff…(once I was sure that I was picking proper sloe berries, and not some poisonous berry) It’s a sweet drink and seems quite strong, you can drink it neat or with some tonic and ice. I’ve heard about recipes with almonds, which sounds lovely, maybe I’ll try that this year....

Ingredients

450g/1lb sloes
170g/6oz sugar
1 bottle of gin
2 empty bottles (recycle your own, or buy from supplier such as Lakeland Ltd)


method

Choose ripe sloes and wash, dry and prick them. The best ones are supposed to be picked after the first frost- If you can’t wait, stick them in the freezer for a few days…
Fill the bottles halfway up with fruit and sugar and top up with the gin. Cork well and store for 3 months or much longer. (so if you do now, in time for Christmas) shake it occasionally. When your ready to drink it, strain the gin through muslin into a clean bottle.

Illustration © Lois Blackburn, www.loisblackburn.co.uk for more.

1 comment:

fredblog said...

My last year's sloe gin was a bit bitter - maybe I didn't add enough sugar - I made the mistake of adding the sugar last and the gin was overflowing!! Good tip about putting the sloes in the freezer!